What to expect
The Adventurous World of the German Language
shows selected historical periods of the German language making it easily comprehensible for everybody. In the exhibition language can be experienced interactively and
the possibilities of the German language can be explored with the help of modern media.
In the current exhibition you can find answers to the following questions:
- How long has German been spoken and how did the German language develop?
Individual periods are presented, especially the significance of Köthen and its region for the development of the German language, and in particular the Fruitbearing Society of the 17th century.
- How did our orthography develop?
You can find information about the development of our orthography.
- How does the German language work?
What significance did translating have in the past and what
significance does it have now?
- You can discover how the German vocabulary was displayed in 17th century dictionaries.
- You can find interesting examples of the composition of the German language, such as its structure and grammar.
What significance did Luther and his translation of the Bible have for the development of the German written language?
- You can find examples of the extensive translations made by the Fruitbearing Society.
- You can discover different forms of translation.
- You can discover the economic significance of translating and of using technology while translating.
How did the different dialects and regional variants of the German language develop?
- You can discover Luther’s influences on German when he translated the Bible.
- You can explore figures of speech coined by Luther.
- You can find examples of how important Luther was to the Fruitbearing Society.
What does the name of your city mean?
- You can discover how differences in the countless German dialects developed.
- You can discover the connection between dialects and the standard language.
- You can find out which German dialects you can understand.
With the help of a map,
you might find your hometown and discover what its name means.
Where did German words migrate?
You will be amazed about how many German words made their way into other languages around the world.
What projects does the New Fruitbearing Society organize?
You can find information about the "Straße der deutschen Sprache" (German Language Trail),
speaking workshops, the writing competition „Schöne deutsche Sprache“ (Beautiful German Language)
and you can test how you use your voice when speaking.